By-law Enforcement

Sudbury East Building and By-law Services (SEBBS) are responsible for enforcing Municipal By-laws within the Municipality of Killarney.

By-laws are created to address local community issues including protection of the environment, public health concerns, and public safety and  to maintain an orderly appearance in the  community.


  • Messy yards
  • Dogs off leash
  • Noise complaints
  • Open burning concerns
  • Improper snow removal 
  • Etc.

To submit a by-law complaint, please use our online form below.

The role of the Municipal Law Enforcement Officer (MLEO) includes education, investigation and enforcement of all By-laws within the Municipality.


Report A By-Law Infraction

It is always best if neighbours can respectfully resolve their issues without submitting a complaint. If possible, discuss the problem with your neighbour. Remember to focus on the issue, listen to their concerns, and look for mutually beneficial solutions.

If your efforts to resolve the matter with your neighbour are unsuccessful, the SEBBS team may be able to assist in resolving the issue. Contact SEBBS to learn about Municipal By-laws and if they apply to your situation.

Submissions are reviewed during regular office hours. Within 5 (five) business days of receipt of the complaint, an acknowledgement will be provided to the complainant either in person at the point of service by the staff member receiving it, by phone or in writing (via e-mail or mail). The acknowledgement will identify who will be assigned to investigate and follow up on the complaint and the investigator will provide the complainant with their contact information. All complaints are kept confidential.

Contact Information

Phone: 705-507-1177

To submit a by-law complaint, please use our online form below


To report an emergency, please call 9-1-1. 

For non-emergency complaints related to public nuisance, property damage, vandalism, public alcohol consumption, traffic and criminal activities please call the Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P.) Non Emergency line at 1-888-310-1122 for complaints.

Complaint Form

Name *
Address *
Email *
Phone Number *
Date of Occurance *
Time of Occurance
Address or Location of Concern/Occurance *
Brief Description of Complaint *