Building Department

The municipalities of Killarney and St.-Charles share the services of Chief Building Official Andrea Tarini. Andrea can be reached via the contact information shown below.

Cell: 705-507-1177

Building/Demolition Permits

Building or demolishing without a permit is against the law. The Municipality’s building by-law doubles the permit fee if a person is caught building or demolishing without a permit. That person also is subject to a charge under the Provincial Offences Act.

If you are unsure if you require a permit for your project, contact the Chief Building Official. Failure to do so could prove costly and result in having to dismantle the construction if it contravenes applicable law.

What is required for a Building Permit?

  • Septic Permit for building/renovation (where applicable; see information below)
  • Building/Demolition Permit application form
  • Site plan
  • Footing and foundation plan
  • Cross-section plan
  • Floor plan
  • Elevation plan

Obtaining a Septic System Permit
If you plan to build or renovate, and do not have access to the Municipal sewage system, you first need to obtain a Septic System Permit from the Sudbury and District Health Unit. It is the responsibility of the owner/contractor to either design a sewage system for new construction or assess an existing sewage system prior to renovating an existing house or cottage.

Applications for a permit can be obtained from the Municipal Office or from:

The Sudbury and District Health Unit
1300 Paris Street
Sudbury, ON P3E 3A3
Tel: (705) 522-9200 Ext. 398

Please be advised that applications take time to process, especially in the spring. Allow sufficient time to obtain this permit prior to your proposed construction date.

Sudbury East Building and By-Law Services (SEBBS)
For more information, visit