Channel your energy here!

Municipal Parks

Text Resize:

pitfield
Nancy Pitfield Memorial Park  

27 Channel Street, Killarney Village

This park was established in gratitude for the nursing care that Nancy Solomon Pitfield provided to the people of this area for all of her adult life. Killarney village was isolated and dependent on water travel until Highway 637 opened in 1962.  “Aunt Nancy”, as she was known to everyone, provided medical services to anyone in the area who needed her, from before her marriage in 1919 until she died at the age of 80 in 1965.  

A plaque in the Park reads:  

For nearly half a century, "Aunt" Nancy Pitfield was Killarney's angel of mercy. Born in this community, she studied nursing in Winnipeg and Montreal, where she graduated from Hotel Dieu Hospital. She returned to this then isolated village and married George Pitfield in 1919.

She dealt with grave illnesses and accidents without the aid of a doctor, sometimes reaching outlying patients by dogsled or snowshoes. She expertly set dislocated hips and knees, delivered 512 babies, and once performed an emergency appendectomy, always with an encouraging word and a smile. Remembered always for her dedication and love for people.
 

Dr. Joshua Spiegel Memorial Park  

63 Charles Street (Highway 637), Killarney Village

Now the site of the Municipality’s sign welcoming visitors to the community, this Park was established to mark the generous contribution of Dr. Joshua Spiegel to the health and well-being of the people of this area.  

Dr. Spiegel received his medical degree from the University of Toronto Medical School and was one of the first neurosurgeons to practice at the Neuropsychiatric Institute, established in 1939 at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He eventually became chief of neurosurgery at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, and professor emeritus at the University of Chicago Medical School.  

In the early 1960s, Dr. Spiegel and his wife Rosalynde established a summer home for their family just outside the village, on Killarney Bay. Medical care was not easily or quickly obtained in the area and Dr. Spiegel’s home was always open to anyone seeking medical aid. He became our (unofficial) doctor whenever he was available. Dr. Spiegel shared his expertise with us for decades before he died in the spring of 1994.